Friday 4 September 2015

Project #2: Kraft Love Bunting


Well, I didn't plan on this being a blog all about bunting but I accidentally fell in love with making it after doing Project #1. I didn't really want to knit another set because it was pretty time consuming for such small triangles, and I started to wonder whether crocheting would be quicker and easier.

I don't really crochet much - I learned how to make one of Attic24's blankets thanks to Lucy's incredibly helpful photo tutorials, but I'm not especially confident when it comes to wielding my hook. I have some really nice KnitPro Symfonie crochet hooks, though, and I really should use them more.

It turns out that crocheting bunting is a lot faster than knitting it, and I love the pleasing rhythm of crochet once you get past the often confusing chain row. The pattern I chose was Simple Crochet Bunting by Pink Milk (the 'simple' bit appealed to me) and it produces the nicest bunting with a simple strip of colour running along the top.





My colours for this were inspired by the current trend for 'kraft' or natural/rustic weddings which feature lots of hessian, chalk, kraft brown paper and twine. I work in a craft shop where we sell lots of wedding decorations and it is so popular. I like it, probably not enough to have it be my wedding's colour scheme but it's nice to see something different to the usual ivory.

The yarn I used here was Hayfield Bonus DK. This is cheap and cheerful yarn that I have SO much of. As I just mentioned, I work in a craft shop, and every year they have a 50% discount day. Last year I spent about £70 on yarn, most of it Bonus DK (you can probably blame my stash problem on this 50% discount day) and while most of it is being used up in two blankets, I have a few colours left over and this beige-y brown was one of them. And everyone has loads of white in their stash 'just in case', right?!

I know everyone loves Stylecraft Special DK as a cheap option but I'm a Bonus DK kinda girl.


**
I actually blocked this! I very rarely bother, but oh what a difference blocking makes, even to cheapo acrylic yarn like Bonus DK. I used to have blocking mats but I have no idea where they are (the joys of moving house) so for this I used a small, thin piece of foam bought from Hobbycraft for 50p. 





I pinned the bunting flag by flag (using KnitPro T-pins) and draped over a damp, thin tea towel. Then I ironed over it briefly and used the steam setting randomly. Yep, I have such a good method going on here. It works brilliantly, though, and now instead of curling up it drapes nicely and the stitches have opened up wonderfully.







No comments:

Post a Comment